Saturday 22 December 2007

THE DOOMED FLIGHT BA 149

Have you ever heard the doomed flight BA 149?
I bet you have never heard of it.
Well it was a flight from Heathrow bound to Kuala Lumpur, refuelling in Kuwait City on the night of Saddam's invasion of Kuwait.

This is a chilling story of the victims of a covert MI6 mission that used British Airways flight 149 on the night of the start of the first Gulf War on August 1st 1990. It was a mission that then went badly wrong, delivering 367 civilian passengers into the hands of Saddam’s Republican Guard. In a traumatic and long-lasting ordeal, they were taken hostage and dispersed to allied targets in Kuwait and Iraq as part of Saddam’s human shield. An attendant was raped by Iraqi soldiers. BBC had reported it as an ill-executed covert MI6 mission at the start of the first Gulf War, The Secret of British Airways Flight 149, has been broadcast on BBC2

BA 149 was secretly used at the 11th hour by an MI6 operation to get a covert unit of former Special Forces men and Intelligence Officers into Kuwait for the purpose of gathering intelligence ahead of Saddam’s looming invasion of Kuwait.

No-one would ever have known of the mission had the plane completed its re-fuelling and departed. But there was a major miscalculation. Saddam’s tanks had crossed into Kuwait earlier than predicted on the morning of August 2nd and met little opposition. As they sped towards Kuwait City BA 149 was still three hours away from landing. But while other flights were diverted from Kuwait City International Airport, BA 149 was not. It was a race against time - a gamble with the fate of 367 passengers and 18 crew at stake - a gamble that MI6 seemingly were prepared to take to get their secret unit into Kuwait.

Me and the Malaysian Passengers
Malaysia was not an enemy to Iraq and due to that fact all Malaysian passengers were handed to the Malaysian Embassy in Kuwait and they were then transported to the Malaysian Embassy in Baghdad. To cope with the big number of refugees, the Malaysian Embassy in Baghdad requested all Malaysians in Baghdad to house some of Malaysian passengers of Flight BA 149. As for me, some of the female passengers stayed in my house before arrangement made to send them out of Iraq.

As a bachelor that time and I was pampered by the ladies during that short period. Twenty of them stayed in my house ranging from 4 years old girl to 65 years old grandma. My house were cleaned, the marble floors were so shiny, no dust, the curtains cleaned and I had hot and good food everyday when I returned home from work. It was heaven. They even wore my clothes because they were handed 'sehelai sepinggang' to me. A chinese girl student wore my 'kain pelikat' everyday.

After one week all my 'dayangs' had to leave. The Malaysian Embassy had arranged busses to trasport all stranded Malaysians to Amman, Jordan and a chartered flight flew them home to KL. They cried before they leave. They gave me presents which I kept in good condition. A paper weight from a student is still on my work desk today. The grandma asked me to visit her in the UK.

When they left I felt so lonely. My house back to its usual mess and no more hot food waiting for me when I returned home from work.

God, I missed them.

17 comments:

akula said...

I saw a documentary about it id the Discovery Channel. The British passengers are still trying to get BA to issue formal apology to them.

east43street said...

akula.....
...and I think the British government hasn't issue the apology as yet. If you watch the documentary again, just imagine your good friend was being pampered by girls for one week.

akula said...

I was, but couldnt bring myself to imagine you being pampered by a 65 year old grandma. LOL :)

Anonymous said...

pray for another war and you get your chance :P

east43street said...

akula....
Don't you know why Prince Charles remarried to an old woman? The way Carmilla pampered him la. Btw I didn't tell you how many dayangs between the age of 18 to 30....

azwan....
Pray for another war? Oh no... enough la. The war zone that I was in was real. I used to view the flight of tomahawk missiles during night time. Just lucky none ever hit the place I was living. Otherwise I won't be blogging today.

Cik Puan Sri Quzz said...

jap, all female passengers? of course la "heaven"...
u one lucky .....!
so they did house chores only, yes?


*happy new year*

east43street said...

aphroditekuzz....
Ala house chores aje. Setakat picit-picit kepala pening aje..

Mazza Homemade Cookies said...

How come I was not there, otherwise I could be one of the lucky guy to be in "heaven"

Da Winged Acrophobic said...

I read only about the British gomen's irresponsibility in using the flight to spy on the Iraqis. Didn't know Malaysians were involved. And you, too.

east43street said...

myfisol....
If you were there probably you got luckier. There were some Malaysian stewardess for Kuwait Airways that were handed to the Malaysian Embassy, but they were not sent to my house.

da winged acrophobic....
I was involved just to extend some help. There were some other stories that I might blog later. Takut org jelak pulak dengar cerita war zone ni..

Anonymous said...

*picit2 pala aje*

haha...YA RITEEEEE

Anonymous said...

picit kepala, takpe .. aku percaya :)

Unknown said...

Hello E43S
I'm bloghopping from Frankie's blog and landed on yours. Thank you for sharing your amazing expereince with those Malaysian ladies. Do you still keep in touch with them? I wonder if you are already at work of getting on/off the train? Have a lovely day.

east43street said...

anasalwa....
Hello to you too. Thank you for dropping by. No, I do not keep in touch with them because I have lost all their addresses. I would like to, but probably they will contact me if one ever read this blog. I don't really get it about getting on/off the train, but I get to work by train everyday :)

Do come again.

Anonymous said...

e43s,
sorry about the typos. It should be 'or'' instead of 'of'.

Gregor Schatz said...

Just came across this story and am amused. I was 17 at the time, traveling alone, en route to visit my ex-girlfriend in Malaysia. I was held hostage, and only found out after my release that I had been issued a temporary Malaysian passport in the off-chance I should make it to the embassy. I was never able to take advantage of this hospitable gesture, otherwise I may have ended up staying at a Malaysian's house in Baghdad too. I'm sure the food would have been far better than what I was to eat ;-)

Anonymous said...

Hello !.
You re, I guess , perhaps very interested to know how one can manage to receive high yields .
There is no initial capital needed You may commense earning with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you haven`t ever dreamt of such a chance to become rich
AimTrust represents an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

Its head office is in Panama with affiliates everywhere: In USA, Canada, Cyprus.
Do you want to become a happy investor?
That`s your choice That`s what you really need!

I`m happy and lucky, I started to get income with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. If it gets down to choose a correct partner utilizes your savings in a right way - that`s it!.
I earn US$2,000 per day, and my first deposit was 1 grand only!
It`s easy to start , just click this link http://fizyqypin.100freemb.com/kulehyr.html
and lucky you`re! Let`s take this option together to feel the smell of real money