Friday 28 September 2007

MISS PLAY SAFE AND MR GAMBLER

I have two remisers. First is Ms. Pretty from CIMB Securities and the second is Mr. Jerawat Gambler from AM Securities. When asked for advise, both of them give me different views on the same subject matter. When asked about certain counters in the top volume league, Ms. Pretty always shy away from counters like Iris or Keladi. She said these are sydicated counters and she won't even look at them. She said these are companies of no value and punters buy and sell just to make short term gain. She prefer counters like Bursa, Maybank, Tenaga, Digi and the likes. Mr Gambler meanwhile always ask me to play margin (he uses term play rather than invest), like buying Iris at 0.235 and sell at 0.24 or 0.245 in the same day and take profit from the lower commission charged.

I think as a woman, Ms. Pretty always follow her maternal instinct which result of her being so protective over my investment. I wanted to buy Bursa in one low time at price of 8.50 and she asked me to wait for the next day afternoon as the price was going down. The price drop was actually stop at 8.50 and started to climb. In the next few days it went up to 11.80. I didn't make profit for that particular time. Again recently I wanted to buy Tebrau at 1.21 and she asked me to reconfirm a few times which made me change my mind. Tebrau went up to 1.33 the next day and another boat missed.

For Mr. Gambler, he always want to risk my investment. If I ever give him the authority over my investment, I either be very rich by now or very poor. I gave him a free hand once to do margin trading and I lost RM8K at margin call after 3 days for DBhd. Probably he didn't sell after Dbhd slided a little bit which made me lost RM1K. Thinking it may go up before the margin call, he didn't sell for 3 days and there my RM8K flew away. I didn't blame him. He probably did that in a good faith got caught in a diffucult situation. It is me to be blamed as I gave him a free hand.

I changed my strategy after that. No more free hand. I seek their advise and I didn't really follow what they say. I make my own market research and decide on the counters that I wanted to track. I study the fair prices of their shares. If their prices go down much below than their fair value without a good reason, then I will buy. It is not a difficult job. This always work and I have recouped all my previous losses. In investing, I am always learning. There will always be a new situation that I have to deal with.

I don't think Ms Pretty and Mr. Gambler have all the time to track a a few counters like what I did. I bet they have so many clients who do not track the same counters that I tracked. They look at hundreds counters everyday and my counters may not even show in their radar.

So the best option for me, just make my own decision regardless what they say. So far it works.

2 comments:

UglyButAdorable said...

for a beginner i wud go for miss play safe...but then again..i dunno this trade...looong way to go!!

but yes so true never trust people with your money, learn it hard way.

kurang-kurang if it's our choice we lost, at least it's our choice.

east43street said...

So u are also in the stock market. Remember cash is king. When there is a good pick up, just swoop in. Share some experience k?